Saturday, April 14, 2012

Review: The Son of Neptune (Heroes of Olympus #2)

The Son of Neptune (Heroes of Olympus, #2)




Author: Rick Riordan
Release: October 4, 2011
Publisher: Hyperion







Likes
  • Well...it's Percy Jackson...need I say any more? Probably not, but I will! I absolutely freaking love this boy! He's smart, courageous, cute, innovative, level-headed, and above all, loyal. I just can't get over the amazing-ness that is Percy Jackson! I'd totally fight Annabeth for him but I know she'd kick my a** so I'm just going to keep my love on the down low ;) 
  • Riordan's first series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, followed Percy, Annabeth and Grover, the 3 main characters. The Heroes of Olympus introduce many new characters as well as the crew from Percy Jackson and the Olympians. I already had a strong bond with the old characters but I really enjoyed getting to know the new characters. Hazel and Frank were refreshing additions and their chemistry with Percy was absolutely invigorating.
  • With the Percy Jackson series, I fell in love with Greek mythology. But in The Heroes of Olympus, Riordan puts a twist on it by creating a Roman camp and introducing the Roman mythology. Of course, it's all pretty much the same but it's interesting to see how the Roman camp reacts to Percy and the Greek camp.
  • The Son of Neptune, just like all of Riordan's novels, has an action-packed plot filled with twist and turns that will leave you careening! I absolutely love Riordan's books; I think the structure of his plots are meticulously built so that the reader gets everything they want: romance, action, mythology, adventure, and most of all, hope. 
  • The ending...despite the HUGE, and by huge I mean COLOSSAL, cliffhanger, I still found myself satisfied with the conclusion. If Riordan had gone on just 1 more paragraph, there wouldn't have been a cliffhanger but what's the fun in that? 
Dislikes
  • Hmmm....
  • Uhmmmm....
  • Well, I guess...
  • I miss Annabeth :( and Grover :( and Tyson :( and basically the entire cast of The Heroes of Olympus :(
To Sum It Up
  • LOVE.
  • LOVE.
  • LOVE.
  • Characters, plot, mythology, ending. LOVE.

8 comments:

Scarlett said...

AGREED! I totally thought I would never go for this series...but then I went in and have never looked back. September cannot get here soon enough!

Krazzyme(Young Readers) said...

I didn't LOVE it as much as the first book (I mean I'd warmed upto Jason) but it was pretty awesome!

Krazyyme @ Young Readers

Brodie said...

AHHHHH!! HONEY! I know how much you love Percy Jackson and Rick Riordan. I've only read the first PJ book, though ;( Don't hate me! I did enjoy it and I've been meaning to catch up, but that damn TBR just keeps growing dangerously out of control.

ANYWAY. YOUR REVIEW FOR THIS? I LOVES IT. And it's seriously making me want to push all the PJ books up super high on my to-read pile so I can get onto this... spin off? series.

YOU ARE SO TALENTED AND PERSUASIVE AND I LOVE YOU!

*pokes to make sure you're really real* Hee, you're still here!

The Story Queen said...

OMG PERCY, I LOVE HIM <333 I'll distract Annabeth while you take him down and then we can share? PLAN? (hahahaha, she would kill us in 10 seconds...)

Ahh, I'm really curious yet somewhat nervous about reading this one because of the new characters! I've loved pretty much all the characters Rick Riordan has created (no surprise there) so I probably shouldn't be nervous. It's good to know you liked them! :D

DID YOU SEE THAT THEY'RE MAKING ANOTHER PJO MOVIE? :O Maybe that's old news but I just saw an article about it a couple of weeks ago... they start filming this summer!

Anyways, fabulous review! <3 I've missed them :)

Sonia

Liz. R said...

I loooooved the Percy Jackson series. So much. Which is why I'm kinda sorta maybe a little afraid to start this series. Because I'm scared it won't be as awesome... I've had The Lost Hero on my shelf for over a year, and I bought The Son of Neptune when it was first released - but have yet to read either :P. Seeing as you loved this one so much though, I think I'm gonna have to give the series a try soon. Thanks for the awesome review! :)

Anonymous said...

If you want to improve your know-how simply keep visiting this
website and be updated with the most recent information
posted here.
My site :: santa monica apartment

Best online Dymo labels said...

This is a very nice post I found some dedicated data here I've got variant followers on twitter and that i can tell all of them concerning this as i actually assume it's nice data that additional individuals ought to see sustain the great work be back once more presently for more info visit on Best online Dymo labels

Diwali said...

This book is FAB. It is so much thrilling that I have already read it 6 times.However what appears as a great improvement is the emotional flow of the characters. The way they feel for each other. Their connection to their parents(esp Piper's father, though is ignorant most times, but still she dares to risk everything for him), Annabeth's concern for Percy(though the book is certainly not 'bout them).
And the mysterious style always there with Riordan, You won't find the answers until you get to the last page.

Post a Comment

I like to read your comments :D

The Mortal Instruments

Lola and the Boy Next Door