Thursday, June 9, 2011

Review: Between Here and Forever





Author: Elizabeth Scott
Release: May 24, 2011
Publisher: Simon Pulse









Likes
  • The issues tackled in this book are very realistic and important. Race, sexuality, medical conditions, and most prominently, low self esteem. It's interesting to see how these different factors of life affect people.
  • Scott's writing style is easy to get into. It sounds like the voice in my head.
  • Eli, the love interest, is a very well rounded character to me. He has the looks but once you get to know him, his looks don't even matter any more. As a person, he's been through a lot and it shows. He's sweet and caring. Self-concious too because of his personal issues, which just makes him more real.
  • Although the main character in this book is Abby, the plot really focused on her sister, Tess, who is in a coma. The plot unfolds as Abby begins to learn more about the sister she thought was perfect. The secrets we learn about Tess are sometimes shocking and sometimes sad. I liked her part in the novel though. For a character in a coma, she really got to me.
  • Abby, the main character has very low self esteem. It was a major issue throughout the book and by the end, she doesn't totally overcome it but she does begin to improve.
Dislikes
  • Abby, the main character, just...jeez, I couldn't connect with her at all. She was just so oblivious to everything around her. Eli is obviously interested in her and he makes it very clear. He focuses on her, only her, not her sister Tess. He twists conversation and aims them at Abby. And yet she thinks that he's only there for Tess. Get a clue, dude! And she complained a lot! It was quite annoying. As was her low self esteem.
  • I found that while Scott's writing was enjoyable, she sometimes did more telling than showing. She would write out, point blank, some of the most obvious things.
  • It's quite a depressing read. I don't think I actually ever smiled or felt happy while reading. I understand that it's a book about major issues that are supposed to be sad. But as a book that deals with such intense and emotionally draining topics, I think there need to be points of happiness and light.
To Sum It Up
  • Interesting, thought provoking issues are raised.
  • Main character is unbelievably oblivious at times, making for a sometimes tedious read. 
2011 Contemp Challenge: 8/13 books completed.

9 comments:

Christy @TheReaderBee said...

Thanks for sharing this! I had this through Galley Grab, but didn't have time to read it. I will have to see about getting it from the library when they get it in. :) Thanks for sharing! :)

PS- I will TOTALLY go fan girl with you over the Kieran Scott series. I LOVE IT!

The Story Queen said...

I felt pretty much the same about this book. I liked that it raised the important issues and I enjoyed the writing style, but... Abby! I totally get that it was sort of the point that her self-esteem was basically inexistent but it just got so annoying sometimes. Great review!

Alissa said...

I've been hesitant to read this because I've seen other reviews claiming the same dislikes - all of which would bug me.

But thanks for the review! :]

Sarah said...

I just wanted to drop by and say I love how you write your reviews. Point form lists? Very to the point? They are so easy and enjoyable to read.

Also, love that you're from Toronto! I'm from Kitchener, just down the highway from you. Yea Ontario, lol.

Brodie said...

Sucks! The dislikes you list are kinda of making me think I won't enjoy this as much as I thought I would. Although I may still be tempted to read it for Eli (is that all you ever care about Brodie?! Er... no answer) and to see what secrets Tess has to uncover. I'm torn!

basma aal said...

I really like the way you review books. Its unique and easy to know for sure if I will or wont like the book you are reviewing. Keep it up.

Sarah said...

Focusing on someone in a coma for a book seems very depressing and dull. I could see why you'd want some sunshine moments to come through. I don't need any saddening and emotional reads so I probably won't be picking this one up. I was also just thinking about how cheery the cover looks... Don't judge a book by its cover, I guess. I always like reading your reviews:)

Midnight Bloom said...

Elizabeth Scott is one of my fave authors! I bought the book a few days ago and started reading it right away. It may not have necessarily been my favourite novel by her, but I still enjoyed reading her writing like I always do. If you're looking for more novels by her, my first recommendation would be Perfect You... it's lighter and more funny. :)

Karis Jacobstein said...

I just read my 1st book by Elizabeth Scott (Living Dead Girl, which was horrifying, but well done), and was thinking of picking this up. Based upon your review, I may push it back some. Two depressing reads in a short can't be good...

http://yalitwit.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

I like to read your comments :D

The Mortal Instruments

Lola and the Boy Next Door